Detail of the king on the left’s face under magnification (7.5x), showing the distinct blue base layer in the flesh tone, painted with woad, and the strong facial features painted with thick strokes of vermilion red and lead white.
Journey of the Magi
This image exemplifies Hand C’s vivid pictorial narrative. The busy composition led to an oversight: the domes appear to be suspended in thin air, as the artist forgot to paint the supporting columns.
Related content: Lab
- Overview of Artists' Materials: Cinnabar and Vermilion
- Overview of Artists' Materials: Indigo and Woad
- Overview of Artists' Materials: Lead white
- Overview of Artists' Materials: Realgar and Pararealgar
- Analytical Methods: Near-infrared imaging
- Analytical Methods: Optical microscopy
- Overview of Artists' Techniques: Painting the flesh