Carl Wilhelm Götzloff
Dresden 1799 - 1866 Naples
Rights held by: Fondation Custodia, Collection Frits Lugt, Paris
Götzloff began his studies at the Dresden Academy of Fine Arts under both Caspar David Friedrich and Johan Christian Clausen Dahl. Support from his patron Baron Karl Friedrich Emich von Üxküll-Gyllenband enabled him to settle in Naples, where he shared an apartment with Anton Sminck Pitloo. Named court painter by Ferdinand II, King of the Two Sicilies, in 1835, Götzloff produced celebrated landscapes of southern Italy.
Text written and researched by Michelle Bird National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.
Oil on paper, mounted on cardboard
30.5 × 38 cm
This can be found in Gallery 11: The Arts of the 20th Century