Things to note before your visit
In the interests of the safety and enjoyment of all our visitors we ask you to observe the following:
1. Please do not bring into the Museum any large items (including large bags and backpacks), cycles or animals (except guide and assistance dogs).
2. Please use the coin operated lockers at the South Entrance for coats and personal items. The main entrance also provides a manned bag check. Umbrellas may not be taken into the galleries. The Museum does not accept responsibility for items left in the lockers or bag check.
3. Please do not smoke anywhere in the Museum buildings.
4. Sketching is allowed in the galleries provided the galleries are not too busy. When sketching, please be aware of other visitors and make sure there is no risk to people or works in the gallery. No pastels, ink or liquid colour, including oils, may be used.
5. Please do not:
- Get too close or touch any picture, its frame, glass, or label or any other object.
- Use a mobile telephone for making or receiving calls. Phones and tablets are permitted for photography and messaging, but please keep mobiles on silent and use earphones for audio material. (Full photography policy below).
- Bring food and drink for consumption in the Museum.
Museum Opening Hours
Tuesday - Saturday:
10:00 - 17:00
Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays:
12:00 - 17:00
CLOSED: Mondays, Good Friday, 24-26 & 31 December and 1 January
Charrington Print Room (16) and Adeane Gallery (12) until further notice.
16th - 19th century galleries of British Art (2 & 3) will be closed on Sunday 6 July from approx 12.00 - 14.30 due to a special musical performance by Britten Sinfonia Academy. Find out more...