This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
Click on image(s) for larger view
Della Robbia, Giovanni style of (workshop) [ULAN info: Italian sculptor and ceramist, 1469-1529]
Ginori family probably (factory) [ULAN info: Italian porcelain manufacturers, 18th-19th cs.]
Buff, slightly pinkish moulded terracotta, tin-glazed white on the front; dribbles of glaze on the back. Triangular framgent with flat lower edge. The back is hollowed out where it projects at the front. The right edge is smooth and has some cement attached to the middle; the left side has been broken irregularly. Glaze colours: opaque lavender-blue lighter translucent blue, and manganese-purple. A pope, possibly St Gregory, kneels in profile to right. His head is raised and his left hand rests on his chest; his right hand is held just above waist level and originally had the fingers extended. He is bearded and bareheaded; his tiara rests on a bank of clouds behind him and there is another bank of clouds in front of him.
This fragment was accessioned as from the Della Robbia workshop, but although the Pope bears a resemblance to kneeling figures by Andrea Della Robbia, such as the Apostles in his Pentecost of c. 1500-05 in San Matteo, Memmenano,the modelling is much shallower. It may have been made by the Ginori factory at Doccia as it matches the left side of a lunette of the Virgin with a Pope and St Barbara at the former Medici villa at Careggi which was made by Ginori in 1853. That and at least two similar lunettes were commissioned by Francis Joseph Sloane (1795-1871) who acquired the Villa in 1848, and was co-proprietor of a copper pyrites mine at Caporciano where he had excavated a subterranean chapel in which a similar lunette was placed. Another was set on the pediment of the church at Caporciano. The lunette at Careggi has a shield behind the Pope which bears an incorrect rendering of the Ginori arms with the inscription 'Manifattura Ginori 1853' and on the other side behind St Barbara, has a shield with the arms of Sloane and 'Caporciano'. These were among the earliest Della Robbia style reliefs made at the factory which also made reproductions of original works. These lunettes were made in sections, and the curvature in front of the Pope on the Fitzwilliam's fragment is roughly where the division is made on the example at Careggi. If it was made at Doccia, it would appear that the shield behind the Pope was removed in order to conceal the true age of the relief some time before it was sold in 1914.
Florence (workshop) (place) ()
Doccia (workshop) (place) ()
Tuscany (factory) (region)
Italy (workshop) (country)
buff, slightly pinkish terracotta, tin-glazed white on the front; dribbles of glaze on the back. Glaze colours: opaque lavender-blue lighter translucent blue, and manganese-purple.
height: (whole): 34.8
in or after 1853
Given by the Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
M.2-1928 (Applied Arts)