All Redon's prints in The Fitzwilliam Museum, apart from the three portraits, entered the Museum's collection in 1949 as part of the bequest of Campbell Dodgson, Honorary Keeper of Prints from 1939 to 1946. Campbell Dodgson was an esteemed curator and art historian. He held the post of Keeper of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum from 1912 until his retirement in 1932. Aside from his work as a scholar of German and Flemish Old Master prints and drawings, Dodgson built up a significant collection of contemporary European prints, including approximately 1,500 out of a total of more than 5,000 items, by French artists such as Redon, Manet, Carrière, Rodin, Pissarro, Fantin-Latour, Bonnard, Vuillard, and Gauguin. Prints by Redon were among Dodgson's earliest acquistitions, bought directly from the artist at his one-man show at the Durand-Ruel Gallery, Paris in 1906. Dodgson continued to purchase Redon's prints in London, Germany and France, and his largest acquisition came in 1920 when he bought prints from Dr A.E. Tebb. The London doctor was one of Redon's primary British collectors and the artist stayed with him when he visited London in 1895.
The three portraits (Paul Sérusier, Maurice Denis, and Ricardo Vines) were given in 1960 by Louis Colville Gray Clarke (1881-1960), a former Director of the Museum and Honorary Keeper from 1938 to 1960.