attributed to Antonio Domenico Gabbiani
St Hyacinth receiving the scapula from St Dominic
Pen and brown ink, with brown wash, over black chalk on paper
Given by Miss Helen Vaux, 2006
The old ascription on the mount to Zuccaro suggests that a former owner of the drawing was aware of Federico Zuccaro's fresco of the same subject, in the Church of Santa Sabina, Rome (1600). The Florentine and Venetian influences in the drawing are characteristic of Gabbiani as comparison with a group of his drawings in the Louvre (in particular The Martyrdom of St Lawrence) shows. Gabbiani was trained at the Medici court in his native Florence before moving to Rome in 1673 to study at the Accademia Fiorentina for three years. Most of his mature career was spent in Florence, particularly on frescoes and decorative cycles, although he also travelled to work in Vienna, Venice and Genoa.
St Hyacinth (1185-1257), known as the 'Apostle of Poland', came from Silesia and was a canon at Cracow. He received his habit for preaching from St Dominic in person, and was canonised in 1594.
The donor lent a drawing to the Museum for an exhibition in 1959. She inherited her drawings from Jane Worship, who had been a pupil of the artist John Sell Cotman. When she reached 100 years of age she decided to give the drawings to the Fitzwilliam.