Distinguished Flying Medal
In the extreme conditions of the First World War it quickly became evident that new awards for bravery were needed. In December 1914 the Military Cross was instituted for junior officers, and in March 1916 the Military Medal (with the simple inscription ‘FOR BRAVERY IN THE FIELD’) was introduced for NCOs and men. Equivalent awards were created in 1918 for the new Royal Air Force in the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Distinguished Flying Medal, the latter showing a seated Victory holding an eagle symbolizing the RAF.
This particular DFM was awarded to Sergeant Mechanic M. Jones, though the date of award is unknown. It was purchased by Lester Watson at some point before 1928.