This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
Judgement of Paris
Click on image(s) for larger view
Judgement of Paris
Double leaf of chickenskin, painted in bodycolour. Sticks and guards of ivory (20+2), shaped, painted, gilt, and overlaid with pierced mother-of-pearl, that on the guards backed with gold foil. Rivet set with clear pastes. Front: Painted overall with the Judgement of Paris after ? Pietro da Cortona ? derived from the engraving by marcantonio Raimondi after Raphael?. The left, top and bottom edges have black borders decorated with gilt scrolls. Reverse: Painted overall with a landscape featuring a group of Italian farm buildings. Gold and green lines on the edges. Sticks: In the centre, a cartouche painted with Perseus and Andromeda, flanked by irregular cartouches containing a gentleman and a lady respectively, reserved in a pierced mother-of-pearl ground. On the back, a central cartouche painted en camaieu in purple with a landscape, flanked by smaller cartouches painted en camaieu in blue with landscapes. Between the cartouches there are coloured trophies and flowers.Guards: Scrolls and flowers, the latter coloured.
Italy (maker) (country)
Italian (maker) (nationality)
Double leaf of chickenskin, painted in bodycolour. Sticks and guards of ivory (20+2), shaped, painted, gilt, and overlaid with pierced mother-of-pearl, that on the guards backed with gold foil. Rivet set with clear pastes
length: (guards): 29.8
2nd half 17th Century
circa 1660 to 1700
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
M.325-1985 (Applied Arts)