This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
The Pillemont Fan
Click on image(s) for larger view
The Pillemont Fan
Double leaf of chickenskin decorated in pen and black and red ink, and gilt. Gold paper binding on upper edge. Sticks and guards of pierced, carved, engraved, silvered and gilt in two colours mother-of-pearl. Rivet with two gilt metal washers. Front: Decorated overall with groups of chinoiserie figures in black, with a floral border in black at the top. The right, left and lower edges are bordered by scrolls which on the right and left have an outer border of striations which continues across the top. An outer Vitruvian scroll border in gold runs round the top and two sides. Reverse: In the middle, two putti holding a garland are seated on a cloud; scroll border on all sides. Sticks: In the middle a man kneels, offering his heart to a lady, while a putto hovers overhead. On the left and right, an oval cartouche in which a lady stands beside a vase. Guards: On the upper end of each, a gentleman playing a lute with a putto above and a trophy below.
One of the groups of figures was derived from L'Air in a set of Elements by Jean Pillement (1719-1808).
France (maker) (country)
French (maker) (nationality)
Double leaf of chickenskin decorated in pen and black and red ink, and gilt. Gold binding on upper edge. Sticks and guards of pierced, carved, engraved, silvered and gilt in two colours mother-of-pearl . Rivet with two gilt metal washers
length: (guards): 27.6
mid 18th Century
circa 1750 to 1760
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
M.303-1985 (Applied Arts)