This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
Place des Victoires
Click on image(s) for larger view
Place des Victoires
Guerard, Nicolas (printmaker) [ULAN info: French artist, c.1648-1719]
Double leaf of paper painted in polychrome body colour, and gilt. Ivory sticks and guards (18+ 2); the former decorated with gilt silver foil, the latter pierced and backed with mother-of-pearl. Paste rivet.
Double leaf of paper, painted in polychrome body colour, and gilt. Ivory sticks and guards (18+ 2). The front of the sticks are engraved with striations, alternately two with a line down each side, and two with three lines close together. The guards have three lines on the lower part. All were originally covered with silver-gilt foil, some of which is missing (see condition). The upper part of the guards have a pierced and carved floral stem originally covered with silver-gilt foil, mostly missing, and backed by mother-of-pearl. The front of the leaf is decorated overall with a view of the Places des Victoires, Paris, with a statue of Louis XIV in the centre. At either side there are two green bushes, and a border of gold flowers and foliage, which extends round the top edge of the leaf. The reverse is decorated with a street scene with four tradesmen, and two ladies wearing hooped skirts, and on the left, two gravestones (?)
The source for the view of the Place des Victoires was probably the engraving of 1687 by Nicolas Guérard (d.1719).The project for the statue and Place des Victoires had been conceived and carried out by the Duc de la Feuillade in order to glorify Louis XIV. The gilt-bronze statue of the King by Martin Desjardins (1637-1694) situated in the centre was destroyed in 1792 during the French Revolution.
Colmar, Paris (maker) (place) ()
France, (maker) (country)
French (maker) (nationality)
length: (guards): 26.9
late 18th century
circa 1760 to 1780
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
M.251-1985 (Applied Arts)