This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
New Church Fan
Click on image(s) for larger view
New Church Fan
Double paper leaf, printed in brown. Gold paper ? binding on upper edge and gold strips along the other edges. Sticks and guards of shaped ivory (18+2). Rivet with mother-of-pearl washers. Front: At the centre of the top of the leaf there is a descending dove and three cherubs heads with below 'PUBLISH'D with the APPROBATION of the LORD BISHOP of LONDON/NEW CHURCH FAN'. The main field is occupied by vertical panels containing the Lord's Prayer headed 'Our Father', The Ten Commandments, headed 'Exodus' 'Chapter XX' and the Creed headed 'I Believe', separated by an oval panel containing two angels and another containing an angel and two cherubs. Above the latter are respectively 'A Prayer for the King's Majesty.' and 'A Prayer for the Royal Family.' At the bottom of the leaf, below the oval panels, are two labels bearing the words 'Enter'd at Stationers Hall by' and 'the Proprieters May.1.1796.' Upper and lower borders of crowns, drapes and Prince of Wales'feathers. Back: Undecorated. The cherubs and angels are after the Rev. Matthew William Peters (1742-1814).
England (maker) (country)
English (maker) (nationality)
Double paper leaf, printed in brown. Gold paper ? binding on upper edge and gold strips along the other edges. Sticks and guards of shaped ivory (18+2). Rivet with mother-of-pearl washers.
length: (guards): 24.4
late 18th century
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
The angels in the vignettes are after the Rev. W. Peters.
M.232-1985 (Applied Arts)