This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
Click on image(s) for larger view
Leaf of cream net decorated with applied gold foil and cut steels embroidered on with black thread. Sticks: lower part of pierced horn inlaid with cut steels, and above the shoulder of ivory. Guards of horn, pierced, and inlaid with cut steels. The leaf is decorated with 13 panels of of gilt-metal foil stamped with a formal design of scrolling foliage and birds. Along the top edge is a border of cut-steel flower heads from which are suspended between the foil panels, two pendant stem designs, one with a bell flower and five buds, and the other with an oval and three leaves, all stitched on with black thread. The upper edge is bound in gold foil. The lower part of the sticks are decorated with a row of small circular cut steels between two pierced patters. The guards hare pierced by diagonal lines, and inlaid with rows of three small circular cut steels, alternating with rows of tiny cut steels.
France (maker) (country) ()
Italy (maker) (country) ()
French (maker) (nationality) ()
Italian (maker) (nationality) ()
leaf of cream net decorated with applied gold foil and cut steels embroidered on with black thread. Sticks: lower part of pierced horn inlaid with cut steels, and above the shoulder of ivory. Guards of horn, pierced, and inlaid with cut steels
length: (guards): 16.2
early 19th Century
circa 1800 to 1805
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum
M.195-1985 (Applied Arts)