This full record display is using an old version of our collections database until it has been reconfigured to work with our new Collections Explorer.
In the meantime, if the record has been edited recently, the version you see here may contain out of date information. To be sure of finding the most up-to-date records please run the search again in Collections Explorer. This is a temporary measure, in place only whilst the new system is being developed, and we apologise for any inconvenience. If you have any questions about the data in this record please contact the Documentation Office
Click on image(s) for larger view
Sticks of cut, pierced, carved and gilt ivory; guards of pierced and gilt ivory, backed with foil and with profiled gold foil. Ribbon of white kid leather. Rivet of steel, washer of steel. Front: there are three gold bordered cartouches with backgrounds of striations, the middle one of which has a fan leaf segment shape showing a couple with a basket of flowers surrounded by trees and arches with classical columns; there is a bird with open wings on the left and two kissing doves on the right on a pedestal. The flanking lobed cartouches are decorated in the same way, enclosing a dog sitting on a pedestal under three swags and between sprays of leaves. The ribbon zone is decorated with gold rectangles with zigzag lines. On the bottom of each stick there is a leaf and on top there is a gold-bordered semicircle with a half flower. In the background there are two flaming hearts and an arrow between sprays of leaves. Back: undecorated. Guards: both guards are decorated in the same way with a slightly scrolling spray of leaves on top. The whole ornament is bordered by a gold frame.
Italy (maker) (country)
Italian (maker) (nationality)
Sticks of cut, pierced, carved and gilt ivory; guards of pierced and gilt ivory, backed with foil and with profiled gold foil. Ribbon of white kid leather. Rivet of steel, washer of steel.
length: (guards): 13.8
early 19th Century
circa 1810 to 1820
Purchased with a grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and a gift from The Friends of the Fitzwilliam Museum.
M.131-1985 (Applied Arts)