Unknown, pottery, probably, Umbria, Orvieto, probably Orvieto
It seems probable that this ewer was made in Orvieto, but an example in the Cora collection at the MICF (Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche, Faenza) has been attributed to Viterbo.
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica ewer, painted in manganese and green with leaf, cross-hatching, lines, stripes and S hook decoration in panels.
Ewer with ox-head spout. Pale buff earthenware. The interior and lower part are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed pale beige. Painted in manganese and copper-green.
Shape 16, but with ox-head spout. Elongated piriform body with small pedestal foot, narrow neck with flat rim, ox-head spout and narrow strap handle with a longtitudinal ridge.
The main field is divided by horizontal and vertical green and manganese stripes into three panels, each containing a leaf reserved in a cross-hatched ground. The handle is flanked by manganese S hooks between two sets of three vertical lines. Above and below are two horizontal manganese bands; on the neck, a green chain with three manganese bands above; and on the handle, seven horizontal stripes of alternate colours.
lead-glazing; interior, lower part
lead-glaze; interior, lower part
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
pale buff earthenware: the interior and lower part are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed pale beige; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 22.1, cm
diameter, foot, 8.3, cm
diameter, body, 12.0, cm
width, handle to spout, 17.1, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Signor Avvocato Marcioni or Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, lot 51. Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
inscription; on the base; inscribed in pencil; 51
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 39
Publ. p. 39, no. 56
Bojani, Gian Carlo. Ravanelli Guidotti, Carmen. Fanfani, Angiolo. 1985. Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche in Faenza, la donazione Galeazzo Cora, ceramiche dal medioevo al xix secolo, I.Milan: p. p.89
Cf. p.89, no. 200. An example of a similar ewer in the MICF, attributed to Viterbo.
Object Number: C.66-1991
(record id: 47597; input: 2002-05-13; modified: 2012-10-10)