Floor Tile from the Lombardini Chapel
Unknown; pottery; probably
Unknown; pottery; possibly
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1513 1523
early 16th Century
Maiolica fragment of a trapezoidal floor or pavement tile, painted in dark blue and yellow with the oak tree of the Della Rovere family.
Buff earthenware, tin-glazed on the upper surface and painted in dark blue and yellow. Approximately triangular fragment of a trapezoidal tile, the lower part embedded in cement. Painted in yellow with the oak tree of the Della Rovere family reserved in a dark blue ground.
Forlì, pottery, place
Faenza, pottery, place
Romagna, pottery, region
Italy, pottery, country
Probably made in Forlì or in Faenza
From the tile pavement comissioned by Bartolomeo Lombardini (1430-1512) for the chapel he had built in the now demolished church of San Francesco Grande, Forlì.
painting; decoration; dark blue and yellow
earthenware; whole; buff
high-temperature colours; decoration; dark blue and yellow
earthenware, tin-glazed on the upper surface and painted in dark blue and yellow
height, whole, 6.9, cm, without cement
width, whole, 11.2, cm, without cement
depth, whole, 2.2, cm, without cement
bequeathed; 1964; Rackham, Bernard
From the collection of Henry Wallis; given to Bernard Rackham by Wallis's son, Harold Wallis of Purley. See Bernard Rackham's notebook accompanying his bequest of sherds, p. 11, C for this tile. He noted that he thought it might have been given to Wallis by a former Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum, but that this was conjecture. Wallis might have acquired it in Italy, perhaps from Forlì.
Lombardini, Bartolomeo (1430-1512)
Bequeathed by Bernard Rackham
Object Number: C.4.1-1964
(record id: 15563; input: 2000-11-08; modified: 2012-11-27)