Unknown, pottery, Italy, Umbria, Orvieto
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
part of a two-handled cup
circa 1250 circa 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica two-handled cup, painted in black and green with, on the inside, a shield.
Earthenware. Tin-glazed beige overall. Painted in black and copper-green.
Approximately Shape 21. One third of a cup with carinated sides, narrow foot and one strap handle with a longtitudinal ridge; the other restored.
Inside, there is a medallion with a green ground containing a shield charged with vair, surrounded by a cross-hatched border interrupted by leaf-shaped reserves containing three green strokes. The rim is green, and, on the outside, there is a horizontal green band.
tin-glaze; whole; now beige in colour
high-temperature colours; decoration; black and copper-green
earthenware: tin-glazed beige overall; painted in black and copper-green.
height, whole, 4.6, cm
diameter, foot, 4.0, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Probably purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
The pencilled inscription does not refer to lot 114 in the Marcioni-Lucatelli sale.
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
inscription; on the side; in pencil; 114/3
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 54
Publ. p. 54, no. 83
Object Number: C.95-1991
(record id: 47820; input: 2002-05-16; modified: 2012-10-10)