tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1375
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica jug, with relief heads and a pine-cone, painted in manganese and green with vegetal motifs and rhomboids.
Earthenware. The lower part and interior are lead-glazed yellowish-brown; the rest is tin-glazed. Painted in manganese and copper-green.
Bulbous body with disk base and a flattened zone round the widest part, cylindrical neck, and wide strap handle with a longitudinal ridge.
The flattened zone is decorated with oblique strokes, interrupted by a relief head, a pine-cone, and the remains of another head, with two manganese bands below and one above. The shoulders and neck are decorated with panels containing vegetal motifs and rhomboids reserved in cross-hatching. On the body, the handle is flanked by S hooks between two groups of three vertical lines, and, on the neck, by trelliswork.
Italy, Umbria, Orvieto
Orvieto, pottery, place
Umbria, pottery, region
Italy, pottery, country
lead-glazing; lower part, interior
lead-glaze; lower part, interior
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
earthenware; the lower part and interior are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the rest is tin-glazed; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 26.1, cm
diameter, base, 12.5, cm
diameter, body, 19.7, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Purportedly excavated in Orvieto. Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 47
Publ. p. 47, no. 68
Object Number: C.74-1991
(record id: 47701; input: 2002-05-13; modified: 2012-10-10)