Unknown, pottery, Italy, Umbria, Orvieto
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1375
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica jug, painted in manganese and green with cross-hatching, leaves, lines, S hooks and chevrons.
Pale buff earthenware. The interior, lower part and base are lead-glazed yellowish-brown; the rest is tin-glazed pale beige. Painted in manganese and green.
Shape 12. Small globular body with disk base and restriction round the middle, tall cylindrical neck with carinated rim, pinched lip and loop handle with a longtitudinal ridge.
On the restriction there is a row of manganese S hooks with two horizontal bands below; on the shoulder, four panels separated by vertical lines, each containing a manganese and green chevron with a cross-hatched ground. The neck is decorated with a row of cross-hatched lozenges with a green stroke between each, with two manganese bands above and below. Higher up is a stem of paired leaves with three horizontal manganese bands above, and a green band on the rim. On each side of the handle, in manganese, there are wavy lines and spirals between two sets of three vertical lines. The handle has four green horizontal stripes alternating with three groups of three manganese.
lead-glazing; interior, lower part; and base
lead-glaze; interior, lower part; and base
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
pale buff earthenware; the interior, lower part and base are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the rest is tin-glazed pale beige; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 23.8, cm
diameter, foot, 9.3, cm
width, handle to spout, 15.3, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Signor Avvocato Marcioni or Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, lot 79A (1). Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
inscription; on base; inscribed in pencil; 79A/2
Italian Maiolica in the Fitzwilliam Museum. 1995-10-03 - 1996-01-07
Organiser: The Fitzwilliam Museum
Venue: The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Cambs.)
Notes: case 1, top, no. 14
Catalogue number: no catalogue
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 34
Publ. p. 34, no. 49
Satolli, Alberto. Sconci, Maria Selene. 1999. Oltre il frammento, forme e decori della miolica medievale orvietana, Il recupero della collezione Del Pelo Pardi.Rome: p. p. 79
Publ. mentioned in the catalogue of an exhibition held 18 December 1999 - 23 January 2000 in the Palazzo Simoncelli, Orvieto, Rome, p. 79
Object Number: C.51-1991
(record id: 47486; input: 2002-05-10; modified: 2012-10-10)