Anna Gannon, MA, PhD Cantab, FSA
Dottore in Lingue e Letterature Straniere, Università Cattolica, Milan (Italy)
Fellow, St Edmund's College Cambridge
Affiliated Lecturer, History of Art Department, University of Cambridge
St Edmund's College, Cambridge CB3 0BN
Anna Gannon is an early medieval art historian, working on the art and culture of Late Antiquity, the Anglo-Saxon and other Germanic peoples. She specialises in Insular art and the iconography of early Anglo-Saxon coinage. She has worked at the British Museum as Assistant Curator for early medieval coinage and treasure cases, and maintains strong links with the Department of Coins & Medals of the Fitzwilliam Museum. She lectures for the Department of History of Art and is the author of The Iconography of Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage and of several articles offering an art-historical perspective on numismatics.
- 'Series K: eclecticism and entente cordiale', in Two Decades of Discovery, Studies in Early Medieval Coinage 1, ed. T. Abramson (Woodbridge 2008), 45-52.
- 'A Chip off the Rood', in Cross and Culture in Anglo-Saxon England, eds Karen Louise Jolly, Catherine E. Karkov & Sarah Larratt Keefer (Morgantown WV 2008), 153-71.
- 'Three coins in a fountain', in Roma Felix – Formation and Reflections of Medieval Rome, eds É. Ó Carragáin & C. Neuman de Vegvar (Aldershot 2007), 287-306.
- 'Pushing Boundaries: some Anglo-Saxon Zoomorphic Metalwork', in Making and Meaning in Insular Art, ed. R. Moss (Dublin 2007), 40-49.
- 'Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery', in Coinage and History in the North Sea World (c. 500-1250), eds B. Cook and G. Williams (Leiden 2006), 193-208.
- 'The Five Senses and Anglo-Saxon Coinage', in Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History 13, ed. S. Semple (Oxford 2006), 97-104.
- 'I Signori degli Anelli: confronti e prospettive', in Anulus sui effigii. Identità e rappresentazione negli anelli-sgillo longobardi (Atti della giornata di studio, Milano Università Cattolica, 29 Aprile 2004), ed. S. Lusuardi Siena (Milan 2006), 3-11.
- 'Riches in Heaven and on Earth: some thoughts on the iconography of coinage at the time of Æthelbald', in Æthelbald and Offa. Two Eighth-Century Kings of Mercia Papers from a Conference held in Manchester in 2000 at the Manchester Centre for Anglo-Saxon Studies, BAR British Series 383, eds D. Hill and M. Worthington (Oxford 2005), 133-8.
- (ed.) Treasure Annual Report 2003 (London 2005) (as general editor and contributor for the Departments of Coins & Medals and Prehistory & Europe of the British Museum).
- (ed.) Treasure Annual Report 2002 (London 2004) (as general editor and contributor for the Departments of Coins & Medals and Prehistory & Europe of the British Museum).
- 'Quando una Tradizione è una Novità: le prime monete Anglosassoni', in La Tradizione Iconica come Fonte Storica, eds Maria Caccamo Caltabiano, Daniele Castrizio & Mariangela Puglisi (Reggio di Calabria 2004), 517-27.
- 'Animali sulle prime monete Anglosassini. Simboli di potere spirituale o temporale?', in L'immaginario e il potere nell'iconografia monetale: Dossier di lavoro del seminario di studi LIN, Milano 11 Marzo 2004 (Milano 2004), 153-160.
- The Iconography of Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage (6th-8th centuries), Oxford 2003
- 'The Anglo-Saxons: The Not-So-Dark Ages', Saxon 38 (2003).
- 'King of all Beasts — Beast of all Kings. Lions in Anglo-Saxon Coinage and Art', Medieval Animals , ed. A. Pluskowski, Archaeological Review from Cambridge 18 (2002), 22-36.
- 'Two small hoards of William I' (with G. Williams) British Numismatic Journal 71 (2002), 162-4.
- 'La formula anglosassone delle nove erbe', Ævum: Rassegna di Scienze storiche linguistiche e filologiche 54 (1980), 283-6 (as Anna Giraudo).
- Sylloge of Coins of the British Isles. British Museum Early Anglo-Saxon gold and Anglo-Saxon and Continental coinage of the North Sea I, British Museum Publications.
- '... And Pretty Coins All in a Row', proceedings of the British Museum conference: Shaping Understanding, March 2002, Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History, eds L. Webster and H Hamerow (Oxford).
- 'The Brantham Hoard', British Numismatic Journal.
Appointments and academic history
University of Cambridge — History of Art Department: Affiliated Lecturer
Fitzwilliam Museum, University of Cambridge – Department of Coins and Medals: Assistant EMC Single Finds Project.
British Museum — Department of Prehistory and Europe: Special Assistant for the Portable Antiquity Scheme: Treasure Cases and Editor for 2002 and 2003 Treasure Annual Reports to Parliament.
British Museum — Department of Coins and Medals: Assistant Curator Early Medieval Coins.
Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford: Knots and Crosses
24 April — 9 September 2001. An exhibition on Anglo-Saxon art and coinage organised for the Heberden Coin Room.
Institute of Continuing Education, Madingley, University of Cambridge: Tutor for History of Art.
Fitzwilliam Museum, University of Cambridge — Department of Coins and Medals: Assistant on SCBI online project.
University of Cambridge, Lucy Cavendish College
2001: Ph.D., History of Art: The Iconography of Early Anglo-Saxon Coinage (6th-8th centuries)
1997: C.P.G.S., History of Art
1996: BA (Hons), History of Art
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore - Milan (Italy)
Assistente Borsista Ministeriale - Filologia Germanica (State Research Fellowship — German Philology).
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore - Milan (Italy)
Laurea in Lingue e Letterature Straniere (English and German: Language, Literature and Philology).
Tutor and Co-Admissions Tutor (St Edmund's College)
Director of Studies for History of Art (St Edmund's, Lucy Cavendish, Wolfson and Fitzwilliam Colleges)
Institute of Continuing Education, Madingley, University of Cambridge: Director of Studies for History of Art.
University of Cambridge — Administrative Officer: Academic Advisor for PHEP (Pathways in Higher Education Practice).
- Leeds International Medieval Congress, July 2008: 'Coins and Icons: Christ and the Virgin'.
- BANS Cambridge 5 July 2008: 'The aesthetics of Anglo-Saxon Coinage'.
- Kalamazoo International Medieval Conference, May 2007: 'Coins and Icons'.
- Fifth International Conference on Insular Art 'Making and Meaning' Trinity College, Dublin 25-28 August 2005: 'Pushing Boundaries: some Anglo-Saxon Zoomorphic Metalwork'.
- Università Cattolica, Milan, April 2004 I Signori degli Anelli: 'Anelli-sigillo e rappresentazioni frontali: alcune considerazioni'.
- Seminario di Studi del LIN, Milan 11 March 2004: 'Animali sulle prime monete anglosassoni: simboli di potere spirituale o temporale?'
- Leeds International Medieval Congress, July 2003: 'Three Coins in a Fountain'.
- Primo Incontro di Studi del LIN, Messina, March 2003: 'Quando una tradizione e' una novita': le prime monete anglosassoni'.
- Leeds International Medieval Congress, July 2002: 'Designs with Meaning — Meaning with Design'.
- Norwich, The Postwick Matrix, June 2002: 'The iconography of the obverse'.
- Kalamazoo International Medieval Conference, May 2002: 'A Chip off the Rood'
- British Museum London Shaping Understanding, March 2002: '... And Pretty Coins All in a Row'.
- BANS Cambridge September 2001: 'Through the Eye of a Needle'.
- Manchester Conference of the Manchester Centre for Anglo-Saxon Studies, Æthelbald and Offa, March 2000: 'Riches in Heaven and on Earth'.