The British Sylloge project was first promoted in the early 1950s by Christopher Blunt and other members of the British and Royal Numismatic Societies. An informal committee was formed under the chairmanship of Sir Frank Stenton, who in 1956 secured its admission as a Committee of the British Academy. The first volume, on Anglo-Saxon coins in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, was published by the British Academy in 1958.
The aim of the series is to publish detailed and fully illustrated catalogues of coins of the British Isles in British and foreign collections. The volumes range in scope from Ancient British coins to seventeenth-century tokens, with most detailed coverage of the Anglo-Saxon coinage. The collections recorded include those of national, university and provincial museums in Britain and Ireland and of museums in Scandinavia, Germany, Poland, Latvia, Russia and the United States of America.
Chairmen of the Sylloge Committee
- Sir Frank Stenton, F.B.A. (1956-66)
- Professor Dorothy Whitelock, C.B.E., F.B.A. (1966-79)
- Professor H. R. Loyn, F.B.A. (1979-93)
- The Rt Hon. Lord Stewartby, F.B.A., F.R.S.E. (1993-2003)
- Professor S. D. Keynes, F.B.A. (2003- )
- C.E. Blunt, O.B.E., F.B.A. (1956-87)
- Professor M. Dolley, M.R.I.A. (1956-83)
- Dr M.A.S. Blackburn (1980-2011)
- Dr R. Naismith (2010-)
The present members of the Sylloge Committee are:
- Dr M.R. Allen
- Dr B.J. Cook
- Dr J. Jarrett
- Professor S.D. Keynes, F.B.A. (Chairman)
- C.S.S. Lyon
- R.G.R. Naismith (SCBI General Editor and Secretary)
- H.E. Pagan
- Dr E. Screen (MEC General Editor)
- Dr Veronica Smart
- Professor P. Spufford, F.B.A.
- The Rt Hon. Lord Stewartby, F.B.A., F.R.S.E.
- Dr G. Williams
- Dr A. Woods