Jobs | Published: Thu 15 Aug 2013
Temporary Assignment: Assistant Support to the Facilities Manager, Fitzwilliam Museum for period of between 6 to 8 months
Hourly rate: £9.44
The temporary full time assignment (five day working week, Monday to Friday) will be conducted through the University of Cambridge Temporary Employment Service and the position will be based at the Fitzwilliam Museum.
The Assignment is to cover the period where major refurbishment works are being carried out to the building.
- Provide technical support to the Facilities Manager and the Maintenance Team at the Fitzwilliam Museum and to assist and respond to day to day queries from the various museum departments. S/he will also support the administration of the facilities function
- The post holder must have a knowledge of drawing and IT systems (CAD, PROJECT, excel) and must be computer literate
- Assist the Facilities Manager in the preparation of site meetings and ensure compliance with relevant permits to work procedures
- Assist the Facilities Manager in the preparation of tender documents and contractual paperwork.
- Prepare for authorisation by the Facilities Manager all necessary outgoing orders for such work as is necessary.
- Monitor contractors to assess their compliance with the Museum and statutory procedures.
- Maintain adequate records and maintain the database of completed works.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with staff and provide support in all technical work carried out by the Maintenance Team.
- Familiarise themselves with repair reporting procedures, both inhouse and external.
Facilities Resource Support.
- Maintaining records of work completed and planned work.
- Preparation of site meetings and supporting documentation.
- Ensuring compliance to statutory procedures.
- Responsibility for assisting the Facilities Manager with the day to day building queries from departments ensuring that support and technical advice are given in a timely and informative manner.
This assignment would be particularly suitable for someone with experience of University administration who might be interested in the challenges of a facilities role, or for someone who has experience in a related discipline and is interested in extending their experience by potentially taking on some of the challenges of supporting the facilities function in a dynamic Department.
Please note: The assignment will be conditional upon the satisfactory outcome of a Police check via Disclosure Scotland. Whether an outcome is satisfactory will be determined by the University.
This assignment ideally requires the normal range of skills to be expected from a technically minded support assistant, including:
- Have experience of drawing and IT systems (CAD, Project, excel).
- Have experience of or willingness to learn about facilities management.
- Be happy to learn quickly and have a flexible can-do approach to new problems and challenges.
- Have good interpersonal skills including ability to work with people at a range of levels.
- Have experience in report writing and other means of communication.
- Have good written and oral communication skills, including knowledge of technical terms commonly used in construction.
- Be educated to at least first degree level (or hold an equivalent qualification) in construction or a Facilities Management discipline.
The Fitzwilliam Museum
The Fitzwilliam Museum holds half a million objects which form the art and antiquities collections of the University of Cambridge. It occupies Grade 1 listed buildings dating to the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The Museum staff work in co-operation with the Estate Management and Building Services of the University who are charged with responsibility for the overall care of the Museum fabric and mechanical and electrical services.
The role of Facilities Manager was created in 2002 to strengthen the Museum’s capacity to maintain its buildings and services to provide a stable and controlled environment for the works of art and in support of increasing public services and activities. There is an on-going programme of gallery improvements and buildings refurbishments which must be managed so as to cause minimal disruption to education programmes and exhibitions. In addition to the Museum buildings, there are Museum has offices in two houses on Trumpington Street and in Grove Lodge, which is Grade II listed, Grove Lodge Cottage. There is also an off-site store.
The Hamilton Kerr Institute, a separate Department of the Museum at Whittlesford, is not directly the responsibility of the Facilities Manager but benefits from her advice from time to time.
The Museum employs 140 full and part-time staff and admits over 450,000 visitors per annum over six days a week, including weekends and bank holidays.
Selected Candidate discussions:
Interested candidates should register and apply with the University of Cambridge Temporary Employment Service using the online application form; http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/tes/registration/ by 12 noon on Monday 2 September 2013 providing a CV and letter of interest in support of your application. Selected candidate discussions will be held during w/c 9 September 2013
In the ‘work details’ section of the application form, please quote: Assistant Support to the Facilities Manager.