Jobs | Published: Wed 6 Mar 2013
University of Cambridge Museums (UCM) Events Internship
Reports to: University of Cambridge (UCM) Events Coordinator
The assignment is part of the University of Cambridge Internship Scheme and will be conducted through the University of Cambridge Careers Service and Temporary Employment Service and the position will be based at The Fitzwilliam Museum.
Interested candidates should register and apply with the University of Cambridge Temporary Employment Service, 25 Trumpington St, Cambridge in the first instance by 12 noon on 22 March 2013. Selected candidate discussions will be held in late March/ April 2013.
The registration form can be found here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/jobs/intern/registration/index.cgi
In the ‘work details’ section of the application form, please quote : 01 UCM Events Coordinator
This internship will require a Police Check.
The Background and Role
University of Cambridge Museums (UCM), is one of only 16 museum services nationally to secure Major Partnership Funding from the Arts Council England (ACE). The Connecting Collections programme (CC) will transform access to the exceptional collections and research resources of the eight University of Cambridge Museums. Substantial digital innovation, high-profile exhibitions, imaginative learning programmes and effective marketing across the University museums and with wider cultural partners will reach and benefit audiences locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
The intern will work with the University of Cambridge Museums (UCM) Events Coordinator over a period of up to three months to implement events across the University Museums, Collections and Galleries. This internship offers a unique opportunity to develop skills in and develop insight into museum event coordination and marketing.
- Coordinating logistics, marketing, administration and other project related functions for the museums and UCM team from event conception to delivery. This experience will include meeting and working with internal and external partners
- Liaising with the museums as they develop event ideas and then collecting and collating all relevant information, including risk assessments
- Updating and reviewing UCM online marketing tools (including social media sites and blog) with information regarding the events
- Liaising with print designer to develop marketing material, including copywriting, proof-reading, editing
- Working alongside and coordinating event volunteers
- Implementing UCM event evaluation strategy which involves developing feedback forms / processes, then monitoring and collecting feedback from event participants and museums
- Compiling, writing and presenting de-briefing documents for future reference by the UCM team
The Intern will work 3 days per week (22hrs) and will be based within the UCM Office at the Fitzwilliam Museum. The intern will report to the UCM Events Coordinator. Travel to the other UCM museums and various sites around Cambridge town centre will be required from time to time. The post will require occasional adjustment of working hours and different patterns of work due to the event schedules / meetings.
UCM events occurring or being organised during this internship include:
- Museums at Night (16-18 May 2013)
- The Big Weekend (5 -7 July 2013)
- Summer at the Museums (July - Aug 2013)
- A real interest in museums and the cultural sector
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably in a subject relevant to one or more of the University of Cambridge Museums
- Ideally some demonstrable practical experience of event management
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- First class organisational skills and ability to multi-task
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to prioritise and comfortably adapt to changing circumstances and requirements, especially within a pressurised event delivery situation
- Enjoys working flexibly as part of a team but can work independently with minimum supervision, taking responsibility and initiative where required
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and some office experience
- Able to work outside regular working hours from time to time
Salary: £7.62 per hour
Holiday: pro-rata entitlement based on 36 days holiday per annum including Current Bank Holidays.
Deadline for applications: 12 noon, 22 March 2013
Candidate discussions: late March/early April 2013
Start date: April 2013 - dependent on Police check
The University of Cambridge is committed to a policy and practice which require that entry into employment with the University and progression within employment should be determined only by personal merit and by the application of criteria which are related to the duties of the particular appointment and the relevant stipend or salary structure. No application for an appointment in the University, or member of staff once appointed, will be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex (including gender reassignment), marital status, race, ethnic or national origin, colour or disability. If an employee considers that he or she is suffering from unequal treatment on the grounds of sex (including gender reassignment), marital status, race, ethnic or national origin, colour, or disability, he or she may make a complaint which will be dealt with through the agreed procedures for dealing with grievances.