Jobs | Published: Wed 7 Mar 2012
University of Cambridge Museums
Temporary Marketing Co-ordinator
Late March - September 2012
Minimum of 3 days per week
Hourly rate: £10.78
The assignment will be administered through the University of Cambridge’s Temporary Employment Service and the position will be based at the Fitzwilliam Museum
The University of Cambridge Museums (UCM) have recently been awarded substantial Major Partnership Funding from the Arts Council England to support its ambitious three-year Connecting Collections programme. The programme will focus on unlocking the University’s world-class collections, and the research activities which underpin them, to a larger and more diverse audience. It will enable the museums to build on recent successes in, for example, shared marketing, and we anticipate appointing a cross-museum marketing officer in September 2012. In the meantime we are seeking an outreach and marketing coordinator on a temporary basis to maintain our existing programme.
In 2011 the UCM linked up with other Cambridge Museums and the Botanic Garden in two new summer initiatives - ‘Summer at the Museums’ and ‘Draw what you Saw’. The campaign linked the 11 museums and collections in a new collaborative format which used a downloadable events calendar and drawing competition to successfully increase attendance at summer events across all the venues. This format is to be retained and will form the basis of Cambridge Museums’ summer activities for 2012. The Outreach & Marketing Co-ordinator will be initially responsible for the delivery, promotion and management of this summer programme, alongside other more general marketing duties working across the Connecting Collections programme.
To act as a central resource for the UCM in the development and marketing of successful collaborative outreach events.
To provide creative marketing approaches for encouraging engagement with diverse audiences. Generation of marketing and public relations content which promotes new visitors and participation in Museum events from under-represented groups.
Using a range of marketing techniques, disseminate key messages about the progress of the Connecting Collections programme to target audiences and stakeholders, across print, broadcast, web and social media.
- Planning marketing initiatives and media relations for Connecting Collections initiatives, in particular ‘Summer at the Museums’ and ‘Draw What You Saw’.
- Developing new printed marketing materials. Writing creative briefs for graphic designers and photographers. Liaising with printers to ensure best quality delivered within budget.
- Managing the distribution of all printed marketing materials.
- Writing content and developing themes for website, blogs and the UCM Facebook & Twitter profiles.
- Managing the UCM Flickr account, liaising with photographers and keeping records of image permissions.
- Event planning, evaluation and risk assessments.
- Managing the budgets for individual marketing projects to ensure high quality and value for money.
Educated to degree level, or equivalent.
Skills & Experience:
- A confident communicator with well-honed marketing and press relations skills and confidence in and experience of social networking marketing.
- Experience of working in museum environment or similar.
- Familiarity with Cambridge Museums and with good local contacts for event promotion such as schools, community groups, local media and other stakeholders.
- Happy to work alone but confident with the process of managing input from large numbers of stakeholders.
- Understanding of risk assessment and evaluation techniques.
- Experience of event management
- Good organisational skills and an ability to work under pressure and prioritise tasks effectively.
The postholder reports to the University Museums Development officer in the University of Cambridge Museums office in the Fitzwilliam Museum, and will consult with marketing, education and curatorial staff at all the museums and collections and more broadly with colleagues within the University Communications office and regional stakeholders.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should apply by completing the Temporary Employment Service’s registration form which can be found here:
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/jobs/tes/, by 12 noon on 23 March 2012 with a start date as soon as possible thereafter.
In the ‘work details’ section of the application form, please quote : University of Cambridge Museums Temporary Marketing Co-ordinator.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Liz Hide, University Museums Development Officer firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 01223 336684